Louis the Pious:
Grant of Fishing Rights, 832
In the name of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. Louis, by the grace of God, Emperor
Augustus. If, of our charity, we have provided churches in places dedicated to divine
worship, and in the same place have made refuges for the servants of God, we not only
thereby adhere to the honorable custom of royal munificence, but we hope to receive the
reward of eternal life through this distribution of temporal gifts. Wherefore be it known
to all, both present and future, that, by these presents, we have granted for the love of
God and for the salvation of our soul, to the monastery which is called New Corvey, which
we built in Saxony in honor of Saint Stephen, the first martyr, and at the head of which
is our faithful cousin Warin, its first abbot, a certain fishery in the River Weser.
This fishery is in the village called Wimode, adjoining the villa of Liusci, in the
earldom of Count Abbo. And because it is con structed in the likeness of stakes which the
inhabitants of the district call Hocas, it is known by the natives under the local name of
Hocwar. It is at present within our right, and the same Count Abbo formerly held it as a
benefice from us. But seeing that the same fishery without serfs, who were thought of in
this provision, could not be very useful to the brethren, we have granted thirty-two serfs
to be wholly and entirely in possession of that monastery. And we have also granted to the
monastery whatever Abbo had in benefice pertaining to that same fishery for as long as the
monks living there continue to pray for divine clemency for us. And in order that this
charter may be held in high regard, and accepted by our faithful people in future, we have
ordered it to be sealed with our seal below, and we have signed it with our hand.
From: N. Schaten, Annales Paderbornenses, (Neuhaus, 1693), Vol. I, p. 90, reprinted in
Roy C. Cave & Herbert H. Coulson, A Source Book for Medieval Economic History, (New
York: The Bruce Publishing Co., 1936; reprint ed., New York: Biblo & Tannen, 1965),
Scanned by Jerome S. Arkenberg, Cal. State Fullerton. The text has been modernized by
This text is part of the Internet
Medieval Source Book. The Sourcebook is a collection of public domain and
copy-permitted texts related to medieval and Byzantine history.
Unless otherwise indicated the specific electronic form of the document is copyright.
Permission is granted for electronic copying, distribution in print form for educational
purposes and personal use. If you do reduplicate the document, indicate the source. No
permission is granted for commercial use.
© Paul Halsall, September 1998