See Main Page for a guide
to all contents of all sections.
Back to Index
Sports: The Opium of the
- Lou Gehrig: Farewell to Baseball, July 4, 1939
[At this Site]
- Birdie Tebbetts: I'd Rather Catch, The Atlantic Monthly, September, 1949 [At The Atlantic, subscription required]
- Jim Brosnan: The
Fantasy World of Baseball, The Atlantic Monthly, April, 1964 [At The
Atlantic, subscription required]
- Donald Honig: Out
of Reach of All the Glory, The Atlantic Monthly, May, 1975 [At The Atlantic, subscription required]
an excerpt from his book Baseball When the Grass Was Green
- Michael Lenehan: Pure Baseball Men, The Atlantic Monthly, August, 1981 [At The Atlantic, subscription required]
- The Atlantic: Ballpark Memories, The Atlantic Monthly, April 1997 [At The Atlantic, subscription required]
- Thomas P. Curtis: High Hurdles and
White Gloves, The Atlantic Monthly, December 1956 [At The Atlantic, subscription required]
The selection of the US Olympic team in 1932.
Tom Wolfe: The Last American
Hero [At Internet Archive, from Virginia]
On stock-car races.
Back to Index
Dates of accession of material added since July 1998 can be seen in the New Additions page..
The date of inception
Links to files at other site are indicated by [At some indication of the site
name or location].
Locally available texts are marked by [At this Site].
WEB indicates a link to one of small
number of high quality web sites which provide either more texts or an especially valuable
The Internet Modern History Sourcebook is part of the
Internet History Sourcebooks Project.