55 Washington Square South
New York, NY 10012
(212) 477-0351/fax (212) 995-0844
by Katie Kramer
||On the southwest corner of Washington Square Park, at Thompson Street,
Judson Memorial Church allows an adapted Renaissance style to creep into New Yorks
Greenwich Village. Built in 1890, designer Stanford White borrowed from early Italian
Renaissance characteristics and, like many American architects of the mid-Victorian era,
utilized Renaissance influences in structures conceived in the Italianate form.
Judsons seventeen stained-glass windows were designed by John LaFarge, and Augustus
Saint-Gaudens conceived the marble frieze in the baptistery. Built by Dr. Edward Judson to
commemorate his father, the church was intended to service lower Manhattans
burgeoning immigrant classes. Today, Judson is home to an extremely liberal congregation
deeply involved with social issues. The square architecture of Judson reflects early urban
planning in the Mediterranean at the end of the Medieval era.
Contemporary Issues at Judson
The American Renaissance
Work of John LaFarge
Current Restoration Project
Photographs taken by Katie Kramer. Special thanks to research field
assistant Stephanie Toti.
NewYork | Judson Main | History | Architecture | Windows | Bibliography