Fordham Acquires Off-Campus Space in ManhattanContact: Bob Howe
Fordham University is buying nine floors of commercial space in the landmarked Art Deco building at 45 Columbus Avenue, directly across the street from the Lincoln Center campus on 61st Street.
The purchase, which will close in June 2014, will enable the University to consolidate its off- campus operations in one location close to campus, and to reduce its costs for those offices significantly.
“At the moment, our off-campus operations are housed among several different properties at varying distances from the campus proper,” said Brian J. Byrne, Ph.D., vice president for the Lincoln Center campus. “The space at 45 Columbus is perfect for offices and limited classroom use, and will be much more convenient to the Lincoln Center campus, in addition to offering the University significant cost savings.”
The purchase—actually a condominium interest—represents all of the commercial space in the building, and is currently owned by the College Board. The building was converted in the mid-1980s from a storage facility to mixed residential-commercial use. The University will take possession of the space in early 2015.
Fordham currently leases approximately 100,000 square feet of off-campus space in Manhattan, most of it for offices and academic centers. The new space comprises approximately 90,000 square feet, meeting Fordham’s requirements. The commercial condominium is part of the 27-story Sofia Condominium.
Founded in 1841, Fordham is the Jesuit University of New York, offering exceptional education distinguished by the Jesuit tradition to more than 15,100 students in its four undergraduate colleges and its six graduate and professional schools. It has residential campuses in the Bronx and Manhattan, a campus in West Harrison, N.Y., the Louis Calder Center Biological Field Station in Armonk, N.Y., and the London Centre at Heythrop College, University of London, in the United Kingdom.